State of natural disaster due to the drought emergency: Lazio begins the season of saving water. This was proclaimed by the president of the region Nicola Zingaretti. “The state of Calamity will serve to immediately take the first measures and to invite the mayors to the first containment rules. Obviously we must prepare for a situation that will be very critical which will have to be based on saving water for all activities, starting with family consumption “, he said. Today during the meeting in the prefecture, the region then took stock of the plan to be put in place
“In the next few hours I will write to all the mayors of Lazio asking them in the meantime to adopt preventive measures with ordinances that indicate and implement forms of water saving in all the municipalities of our region”, said Zingaretti, at the table called in the prefecture together with the Vice President Daniele Leodori, the regional councilor Roberta Lombardi, the councilor for infrastructures Mauro Alessandri, Civil Protection, and Acea Ato 2.
Zingaretti warned that he had already spoken with the first citizen of the capital, Roberto Gualtieri, underlining that for Rome and its province at the moment there is no so-called rationing even if the situation “is serious”. “I have already spoken with the mayor of Rome Roberto Gualtieri. The situation of Acea Ato 2, which was then the subject of the meeting, currently excludes forms of water supply shifts. But here we are talking about phenomena linked to nature, so it is good verify, as far as possible, the forms to invite the limitation of water consumption “.
Zingaretti reiterated the gravity of the moment and that at the most by Wednesday we will proceed with the proclamation of the state of calamity “which will give useful tools for withdrawals, we hope limited, which will allow non-shifting in the territory of Rome and its province”. Meanwhile, tomorrow there will be an extraordinary Observatory with the Municipality, the Region, the Reclamation Consortium and the Tiber Basin Authority to address the issue of the water emergency. The water crisis returns to Rome after 2017 and the local institutions, as five years ago, could go towards more drastic decisions. Among other measures, therefore, could return to those of the time, with the possibility of closing the public fountains, the supply of drinking water with tankers at least in the most critical neighborhoods in the south-east of the capital. At the moment, however, no rationing is foreseen.
“Also the Tiber flowing around 100 cubic meters per second has a fairly worrying drop in flow rate which obviously derives from the drop in flow rate of its 42 tributaries. There is a strong concern. I must say not so much about Rome where the drinking water reserve is in the mountains in the Rieti area, so we are quite calm for the next few weeks, but many other places, not served by mountain slopes, are obviously at risk “, said Erasmo D’Angelis, general secretary of the Tiber basin authority, consulted by Ansa. “We have a threshold of attention but we are aware that Rome has an exceptional basin in the Rieti area and in any case it has reduced losses. The great thirst in the territory affects agriculture above all.
The theme – the secretary general reiterated – is that the climate is changing and we too must change. Italy has a sensational loss figure with the waste of pipelines reaching 43% at the national level. Acea in Rome made a strong recovery from 2017 with the last drought, where the dispersion was 43 and now we are at 28 percent. “As confirmed yesterday by Zingaretti, the most serious situation is in other provinces and, at the moment, the area that suffers most in Lazio “is the Viterbo area”.
I have been working in the news industry for over 10 years now and I have worked for some of the biggest news websites in the world. My focus has always been on entertainment news, but I also cover a range of other topics. I am currently an author at Global happenings and I love writing about all things pop-culture related.