Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos, Day of Defenders and Defenders of Ukraine, Day of Ukrainian Cossacks – what other significant dates and important events in the history of Ukraine and the world are celebrated on October 14.
October 14: what a holiday today / Photo: Depositphotos
What is the national and Orthodox holiday for Ukrainians on October 14, 2021? Who is celebrating their name days? In addition, we talk about international, national and state holidays, important events that happened in history, as well as about the main signs of this day.
What a holiday today, October 14
- Day of defenders and defenders of Ukraine
– an official public holiday and a day off, approved in 2014 in order to honor the Ukrainian army (instead of the Defender of the Fatherland Day, which was celebrated on February 23).
- Day of Ukrainian Cossacks
celebrated according to the presidential decree of 1999 on the day of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos in honor of the historical significance and merits of the Cossacks in the process of establishing Ukrainian statehood.
- World Standards Day
is held in memory of the conference of national standards organizations opened in London in 1946 in order to draw people’s attention to the importance of creating uniform standards for the world economy.
- World Sight Day
celebrated on the second Thursday of October at the initiative of WHO in order to draw public attention to the problems of blindness, visual impairment and the rehabilitation of people with similar impairments.
Birthday people October 14
Angel Day is celebrated today by: Alexander, Alexey, Vera, Georgy, Ivan, Mikhail, Nikolay, Peter, Roman, Savva.
What a church holiday today
On October 14, the Orthodox Church celebrates the great feast of the Intercession of the Most Holy Lady of our Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary. The memory of the Apostle Ananias from the 70s, the Monk Roman the Sweet Songwriter, the Monk Domnin of Thessaloniki, the MonkMartyr Michael, Abbot of Zoviyskiy, and with him 36 Reverend Martyrs, the righteous Peter (Kalnyshevskiy) the Long-suffering, is honored. Celebration in honor of the Lord’s tunic and the Life-giving Pillar. Lublin, Kasperovskaya and Gerbovetskaya icons of the Mother of God.
The people celebrated the Intercession on October 14. Among the Slavs, this day was associated with the first snow, which seemed to cover the earth with a white cover, as well as with the meeting of autumn and winter. People always visited the temple, prayed to the Most Holy Theotokos, and also watched nature in order to predict the weather. And unmarried girls performed rituals and divined on the suitors. From the day of the Intercession, all the festivities and evening girls’ gatherings moved from street to house, preparations for autumn weddings began.
Signs for October 14:
- what is the Cover – such and the winter will be;
- whence the wind blows, from the other side wait for the first frosts;
- the more snow falls on the Pokrov, the more weddings there will be this year;
- In no case should matchmakers be denied to Pokrov, otherwise you can be left alone.
Interesting and important events in Ukraine and the world on October 14
- 1843 – F. Mendelssohn’s “Wedding March” sounded for the first time at the premiere of Shakespeare’s play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”.
- 1884 – George Eastman patents the film.
- 1892 – Arthur Conan Doyle published The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
- 1921 – The first All-Ukrainian Council of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church began work in Kiev.
- 1942 – the creation of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA).
- 1942 – Nazis destroyed the Jewish Kobrin ghetto in Belarus.
- 1974 – the Republican House of Cinema was opened in Kiev.
Who was born on October 14
- 1913 – Myron Levitsky, Ukrainian writer, artist, graphic artist.
- 1927 – Roger Moore, English film actor, producer, screenwriter.
- 1934 – Mikhail Kozakov, Soviet, Russian and Israeli theater and film actor, director.
- 1940 – Cliff Richard, English singer, “king of the British charts”.
- 1940 – Les Serdyuk, Soviet and Ukrainian theater and film actor.
- 1978 – Usher, American singer, songwriter, dancer, actor.
Watch the video: Pokrov – the history of the holiday and traditions
Earlier we published congratulations and postcards with the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos.