(ANSA) – TURIN, 12 AUGUST – The analyzes confirmed what breeders had understood with experience. The 50 Piedmontese cows that died on 6 August in Sommariva Bosco (Cuneo) were poisoned by eating sorghum, a grass that naturally contains a toxic substance in the first phase of growth, but which increases in quantity when there is drought. The cattle died of “acute poisoning by hydrocyanic acid, derived from the ingestion of” durrina “, present only in young plants – in active development – of sorghum” emerges after the investigations and interventions conducted by the veterinarians of the Zooprophylactic Institute experimental of Piedmont, Liguria and Valle d’Aosta (Izsplv), Asl Cn2, and by private veterinarians. The analyzes were performed by Izsplv in collaboration with the experimental zooprophylactic institute of Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna.
The prompt intervention of veterinarians from the Institute and private individuals, it is reported, made it possible to save 25 animals in the Sommariva Bosco farm. And in the evening and in the night between 11 and 12 August, thanks to the use of an antidote, even 6 in one by Bra and 5 in another by Moretta. In the same farms and for the same cause, however, 4 cattle died in Bra and 5 in Moretta.
“In all cases – it is specified – the toxic substance was present in high quantities, such as to cause fatal intoxication to cattle, especially due to water stress, due to the severe drought in our country”.
In the plants taken in Sommariva Bosco, “durrina” was found in a concentration equal to 01% (1,000 ppm – parts per million). In the deceased animals, a concentration of hydrocyanic acid was found far above 730 ppm, considered toxic to cattle. (HANDLE).
I have been working in the news industry for over 10 years now and I have worked for some of the biggest news websites in the world. My focus has always been on entertainment news, but I also cover a range of other topics. I am currently an author at Global happenings and I love writing about all things pop-culture related.