Cospito, Meloni: ‘The state does not negotiate, he fired again after the pardon of ’91’
“Just as we have always said that the State doesn’t deal with the mafia, the State doesn’t even deal with terrorism”. The prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, said it right and wrong, on Rete4. “If I established the principle that anyone in 41 bis goes on hunger strike and I remove them from 41 bis, we – he continued – tomorrow how many mafiosi will we have who go on hunger strike? And if we don’t bring out those mafiosi who go on hunger strike at 41 bis otherwise they’ll blow up our cars, how many cars would blow up?”.
“An interesting thing that has not been noticed: in 1991 Cospito, already in prison, decided to go on hunger strike, and was pardoned. The state pardoned him and went to shoot people. We are not talking about a victim , the way I see it. It is possible that today he believes that by going on hunger strike again, he could…”. So Giorgia Meloni. “I think some clarity needs to be clarified. Who is Alfredo Cospito? He is an anarchist, in prison because he was convicted of the crime of massacre and because, among other things, he shot the legs of a nuclear Ansaldo executive. Cospito ends up at 41 bis because during his detention he sent or found a way to get messages to the anarchists who were outside saying ‘continue the fight, get organized'”, said the premier. “The 41 bis is a precise institution that is taken into consideration based on the seriousness of the crime and the ability one has to communicate with the outside world and if there is a danger in that communication – he added -. Cospito ends up with this to hard prison and begins to go on hunger strike not only because he refuses hard prison but also because he refuses the institution of prison”.
Alfred Cospito can remain at 41 bis or return to the high security regimebut with all due caution. It has an open conclusion, which relies on the evaluations of the political authority, the opinion delivered by the national anti-mafia and anti-terrorism prosecutor to the Minister of Justice Carlo Nordio. A document about ten pages long which – according to what has been learned – therefore does not give a clear indication, while reiterating that the decision of May 5, 2022 to apply the harsh prison to him was founded.
The District Anti-Mafia Directorate of Turin has forwarded to the Ministry of Justice the opinion on the 41 bis for the anarchist Alfredo Cospito. Nothing has been leaked on the content of the opinion. The opinion of the subalpine Dda comes following the request presented in recent weeks to the Ministry of Justice by Cospito’s defense lawyer, Flavio Rossi Albertini. The 41 bis for the anarchist had been ordered by the ministry on 4 May 2022 – when the Minister of Justice was Marta Cartabia – after an investigation in which, among other things, two annotations from the DDA of 10 December 2020 and 4 April 2022.
Opinion against the revocation of the 41 bis to Alfredo Cospito has been given to the Ministry of Justice by the Attorney General of PiedmontFrancesco Saluzzo. This is learned from qualified sources, according to which the document would contain references to the need to constantly monitor the prisoner’s health conditions.
The 41 bis for the anarchist had been ordered by the ministry on 4 May 2022 – when the Minister of Justice was Marta Cartabia – after an investigation in which, among other things, two annotations from the DDA of 10 December 2020 and 4 April 2022. Opinion against the revocation of the 41 bis to Alfredo Cospito was given to the Ministry of Justice by the attorney general of Piedmont, Francesco Saluzzo. This is learned from qualified sources, according to which the document would contain references to the need to constantly monitor the prisoner’s health conditions.
Was the hearing in the Supreme Court has been brought forward to 24 February on the request presented by Cospito’s defender after the no to the complaint against the 41 bis declared by the Surveillance Court of Rome. This is what we learn from defense sources.
“The hearing in Cassation has been brought forward to February 24 but Cospito could die earlier. If Alfredo dies the fight will continue and will be even more determined”. This was stated by one of the members of the Permanent Assembly of Solidarity with Alfredo Cospito during the public assembly at Sapienza, in which collectives, the Cambiare Rotta, Osa and anarchists movements participate. “It has been said that the State does not give up but it is only thanks to the mobilization that we have managed to obtain something, otherwise Alfredo would have died in the Bancali prison”, he added. “Anarchists don’t negotiate with the state. Alfredo doesn’t negotiate with the state -added the representative of the assembly- Does Alfredo talk to the mafiosi? in a convent he would talk to the friars. He broke the dynamics of 41 bis and continues to talk to the inmates of the other cells even though he can’t do it, it’s his form of protest”.
“After more than 105 days of hunger strike, the situation is extremely critical. We await the decisions but someone let Alfredo Cospito know quickly if the provision will be revoked. There is no more time”. This was said by the lawyer Flavio Rossi Albertini, defender of the anarchist Alfredo Cospito, before an event in Milan. Today Cospito “I found him as a person who hasn’t eaten for 105 days – he concluded – he is a man tried by this long strike”.
THE DEFENDER: ‘THEY SEIZED A WRITING FROM HIM’
Cospito is in a “‘sociality’ group made up of three people – says his defender who met him today at Opera – with serious health problems and therefore is essentially alone, relegated to the cell 24 hours a day” . The lawyer Flavio Rossi Albertini also states that on Saturday Cospito was notified of the rejection of the application for deferment of sentence by the magistrate of Sassari where he was detained until Monday.
“A very singular event happened: Alfredo Cospito had prepared a letter to be sent to the authorities who can receive them to monitor against torture, against inhuman and degrading treatments. This sheet contained in a notepad was taken from him, withheld, seized by the new Opera institute. Furthermore, they took away the books that came from the Bancali prison and therefore he no longer has anything to read and much less to write “. This was stated by the lawyer Flavio Rossi Albertini.
“Alfredo is increasingly thin, he has lost 45 kilos. The situation is getting extremely complicated and it is going beyond the critical threshold. He is absolutely determined to go ahead but he is aware that this will lead to irreparable consequences”, states the lawyer Albertini.
“Alfredo Cospito says that there is no difference between Sassari and Opera at the moment for his needs”: he he reported the Lombard regional councilor of +Europa/Radicali, Michele Usuelli, who yesterday visited the Milanese prison where he is being held at 41bis Cospito. The anarchist was recently transferred from Sassari to the Integrated Assistance Center of the Opera prison.
“Cospito is focused on the battle for a more humane 41bis, so much so that he wanted to specify that he is afraid that other inmates may think he receives preferential treatment as he is known. He had this concern very much”, said the Lombard regional councilor of + Europe/Radicals Michele Usuelli.
Tomorrow at 12 the senator of the Green and Left Alliance Ilaria Cucchi will carry out an inspection at the Opera prison to verify Cospito’s health conditions.
There is “only one way out” on what happened: “Donzelli’s resignation from the role of vice president of Copasir and Delmastro’s resignation with revocation of powers as undersecretary, moreover with delegation to the Dap. Because what is emerging by the same admission of Delmastro, who today said that he had passed confidential information to Donzelli, it is of an unheard-of seriousness”: says the group leader of the dem in the Chamber, Debora Serracchiani, on the Cospito case.
THE PHONE CALL TO THE REST OF PUG: ‘THERE WILL BE AN ATTACK IN BOLOGNA’
“There will be a serious attack in Bologna, in relation to the events in Cospito”. This is the text of the anonymous call that arrived on Tuesday 31 January at the reception desk of Il Resto del Carlino in Bologna. The news was reported by the Qn and the Bologna edition of the newspaper. Digos immediately intervened in via Mattei, to listen to the employee who took the call.
Yesterday, again at the Carlino, a letter also arrived against Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Defense Minister Guido Crosetto, against the Government’s policy on Ukraine. “In case of persistence, we will be forced to take serious measures”, writes the unknown sender.
The digos, coordinated by the prosecutor’s office, has started the investigation. The attention in Bologna, given the moment, is high, as well as in other Italian cities, and first of all the digos is trying to trace, through the analysis of telephone records, the number from which the call originated: a cabin, a house or a mobile. It is a male voice, with a slight Bolognese cadence. At the moment the investigators are not overwhelmed: it could be the gesture of a mythomaniac, or something much more serious.
THE CONSTITUTION BRIDGE IN VENICE HAS BEEN STAINED
A sentence in favor of Cospito was written by supposedly anarchist activists on the Constitution Bridge in Venice. The act of vandalism affected the glass handrails of the fourth bridge over the Grand Canal designed by the Catalan architect Santiago Calatrava which connects Piazzale Roma with the Santa Lucia. As ‘Il Gazzettino’ reports, the writing ‘Cospito libero’ was immediately cleaned up and everything was canceled within 40 minutes.
I work as a news website author and mostly cover the opinion section. I have been writing since I was a teenager, and have always enjoyed telling stories. I studied journalism at university and loved every minute of it. After graduating, I decided to move to London and take up a position with a Global Happenings. It has been an incredible experience, learning about all sorts of different cultures and meeting some amazing people. My goal is to continue learning and growing in my career so that I can provide readers with the best possible content.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.