Elections 2022, voting underway. The polling stations will be open until 11pm. Almost 51 million Italians have the right to go to the polls, of which 4.7 million voted abroad. 51% are women, while 2.6 million adults vote for the first time in the Senate.
In the elections for the renewal of the Chamber at 7 pm 51.16% of those entitled voted (data relating to 7,904 municipalities out of 7,904). It can be seen from the website of the Ministry of the Interior. In the previous electoral round of 2018 at the same time, 58.40% of the voters for the House had gone to the polls.
The President of the Republic Sergio Mattarella voted at 8.45 am, in the “Giovanni XXIII – Piazzi” school in Palermo. The head of state anticipated the arrival in the institute in via Rutelli, to avoid the concomitance with the commemoration ceremony for the killing of judge Cesare Terranova and marshal Lenin Mancus, which took place on 25 September 1979 in the same street. The head of state voted, as usual, in section 535, greeted by applause from the tellers and people present.
The vademecum – THE VIDEO
Here you are all ‘numbers’ electoral appointment:
– ALMOST 51 MILLION TO VOTE. The voters called to vote are 50,869,304, of which 4,741,790 abroad. Of the 46,127,514 voters in Italy, 51.74% are women and the remaining 48.26% are men. The electoral body includes 2,682,094 adults who for the first time, after the recent amendment of Article 58 of the Constitution, will be able to vote not only for the Chamber of Deputies, but also to elect the Senate of the Republic. Of the young voters there are 1,302,170 women and 1,379,924 men.
– VOTE ABROAD, EUROPE IN FIRST PLACE. As for the geographical distribution of Italian voters abroad, most of them are in Europe (2.6 million). Followed by South America, North and Central America and Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (in the queue with just over 250 thousand entries).
– FULL OF RIGHTS IN ROME. Lombardy with 7,505,133 voters is the region with the highest number of voters, Valle d’Aosta with a total of 98,187 voters the one with the lowest number of voters. The municipality of Rocca de ‘Giorgi, in the province of Pavia, with only 25 voters (13 men and 12 women) is the body with the smallest electoral body, while Rome with 2,055,382 (of which 1,096,575 women and 958,807 men ) is the city with the largest one.
– 61 THOUSAND SEATS, AT LEAST 180 THOUSAND SCRUTORS. On the national territory there are 61,566 electoral sections that will be open from 7 am to 11 pm on Sunday 25 September for the exercise of the right to vote. In each section there will be a president, a secretary and four tellers. The polling station can operate with a minimum of three members, so at least 180 thousand people will be involved in voting and counting the ballots.
– MORE THAN 20,000 SCHOOLS AND OTHER OFFICES UNDERTAKEN. The more than 60,000 polling stations are located in 22,586 buildings, most of which are schools which therefore, a few days before the opening of the school year, will be closed from today to Monday 26 inclusive.
– THE CHARGE OF CANDIDATES. The Interior Ministry dossier reports the number of candidates for the Chamber of Deputies: 1,310 in single-member constituencies, 2,788 in multi-member constituencies and 95 in the overseas constituency. For the Senate of the Republic there are 693 candidates for single-member constituencies, 1,418 for multi-member constituencies, and 41 for the overseas constituency.
THE SPECIAL PAGE OF ANSA: news, photos and videos, insights. At the close of the polling stations, the live counting