(ANSA-AFP) – CANBERRA (AUSTRALIA), 23 AUG – Nick Kyrgios will have to appear before a court in Canberra in October after his appeal – in relation to an assault charge – was rejected. Kyrgios, 27, did not appear at today’s hearing, details of the allegations against him were not disclosed. His lawyer said they were linked to an accident in December 2021.
The Australian tennis player’s attorney, Michael Kukulies-Smith, said he asked for the case to be heard on November 25, noting that Kyrgios spends little time in the Australian capital and that late November was one of the few windows available. But magistrate Louise Taylor adjourned the case to October 4. Kyrgios, who reached the first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon just last month, will play the US Open which kicks off in New York on Monday.