Jens Stoltenberg gave a disappointing forecast
Jens Stoltenberg believes that the war could drag on for years / Photo: Collage: Today
The war between Russia and Ukraine “could drag on for years.” It is impossible to weaken support for Kyiv, despite the fact that this may be a protracted process. Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of the North Atlantic Alliance, stated this in an interview with Bild am Sonntag.
“We must be prepared for the fact that it (the war – ed.) can last for years. We must not weaken support for Ukraine, even if the costs are high – not only for military assistance, but also because of rising energy and food prices At the same time, “this cannot be compared with the price that Ukrainians have to pay, who give up many lives every day. And if Putin concludes from this war that he can simply continue, as he did after the war in Georgia in 2008 and the annexation of Crimea in 2014, then we will pay a much higher price,” he said.
Forecast for the end of the war
- Military analyst Tom Cooper believes that Putin needs a victory at any cost, he cannot allow defeat. He will continue the offensive as long as there are troops and weapons.
- The well-known political strategist, writer, and in the past also a teacher of mathematics, Mikhail Sheitelman, thanks to mathematical calculations, calculated that the war in Ukraine would last until mid-February 2023 at most. He also noted that this could happen earlier, since one of the parties could run out of weapons, as well as money.
- The American think tank ISW believes that Putin intends to annex the occupied south and east of Ukraine in the coming months and after that he will declare that the Russian doctrine allowing the use of nuclear weapons extends to these territories.
- Freelance adviser to the head of the President’s Office Alexei Arestovich stated that Now the next psychological stage of the war has begun.
- Military expert Oleg Zhdanov believes that if our military starts a counter-offensive operation along the entire front, then it is by no means possible to stop at the February 24 line. In any case, in the Donbass, you need to go to the state border. Speaking about the timing of the end of the war, he noted that, unfortunately, it will not be one month. It will be several months – maybe five or six – a particularly active phase.
- The head of US National Intelligence, Avril Haynes, said that the Kremlin admitted that they were preparing a new scenario. Now Russia is trying to move into a protracted war of attrition. In addition, Russian President Vladimir Putin will not stop after the capture of Donbass.