(ANSA) – KINSHASA, 23 AUG – The Democratic Republic of Congo has confirmed a new case of Ebola in its eastern region: the country’s health ministry said just a few weeks after the end of a previous epidemic. The African nation declared the end of its latest Ebola outbreak in early July, more than two months after the virus resurfaced in the northwestern province of the Equator.
Last week, however, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Kinshasa was investigating a suspected case. The sample of a 46-year-old woman who died on August 15 in the city of Beni, located in the province of North Kivu, “tested positive” for Ebola, the Ministry of Health said, adding that the tests showed the link to a strain of the virus from 2018.
The ministry reassured public opinion that officials are “working hard on the ground” to address the situation. About 160 people have been identified as contact cases, he added. (HANDLE).