(ANSA) – KIKWIT, AUG 28 – Eighteen people were killed in ethnic clashes in the western part of the Democratic Republic of Congo earlier this month, according to a government report. Inhabitants of the Mai-Ndombe province told of fighting between the Yaka people and the Teke people over a dispute over taxes and land.
The members of the Teke ethnic group consider themselves the original inhabitants of villages scattered for 200 kilometers along the Congo River. At the beginning of August there were clashes, in which the use of knives, with the Yaka ethnic group, who later settled in the city of Kwamouth, about 100 kilometers from the capital Kinshasa.
The Minister of Culture, Catherine Kathungu, specified that “175 houses were burned and an AK47 machine gun belonging to an agent of the Congolese national police was seized from the attackers of (ethnic) Teke”, specifying that among the nine victims of the Yaka people the head of the community and his wife also appear. Rita Bola, governor of Mai-Ndombe province, said the city of Kwamouth is “calm now”. “The army is now deployed all around to protect the population,” she added. (HANDLE).
I have been working in the news industry for over 10 years now and I have worked for some of the biggest news websites in the world. My focus has always been on entertainment news, but I also cover a range of other topics. I am currently an author at Global happenings and I love writing about all things pop-culture related.