3.9 C
New York
Thursday, December 1, 2022

Don't miss

Cholera outbreak has killed more than 200 people in Haiti: official report

- Advertisement -

The country is experiencing an unprecedented humanitarian crisis and most cases are detected in children aged 1 to 4 years

EFE / Juan Manuel Blanco

- Advertisement -

Haiti has been experiencing serious health problems and returns to the disease after three years

At least 202 people died in the Haiti as a result of cholera (140 in health centers and 62 at home), an increase of 15% compared to data from a week ago, according to a report from the Ministry of Health of the country released this Wednesday, 23. With a total positivity rate of 38 .92%, suspected cases rise to 11,648 (22% more), confirmed cases to 949 (15% increase) and the number of hospitalized patients to 9,886 (with an average age of 20.5 years), details the report. Of the suspected cases, 58.9% correspond to men and the remaining 41.1% to women. By age groups, the most affected group is from 1 to 4 years old, with more than 2,250 suspected and 170 confirmed cases. In the midst of an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in Haiti, the Oeste department continues to register the highest number of infections, with more than 90% of suspected cases and more than 825 confirmed. Specifically, the municipalities of Cité-Soleil and Port-au-Prince represent 62% of the suspected cases notified in the Oeste department. Port-au-Prince has nearly 4,000 suspected and 248 confirmed cases, not counting the 368 suspected infections and 14 confirmed deaths in the capital’s prison. To date, six departments have reported cases (Artibonite, Centre, Grand-Anse, South, Southeast and West).

- Advertisement -

In a statement, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) called for urgent efforts to be stepped up to combat the cholera outbreak, given the “worrisome increase in cases”. “We must mobilize more organizations and donors and make essential tools like vaccination available to medical teams,” he added. According to the NGO, the reappearance of cholera on September 29, after three years without cases of the disease, is a symptom of a “catastrophic” humanitarian and health situation in the country, where Port-au-Prince is surrounded and suffocated and with the main highways that connect it. with the rest of the country under the control of armed groups. “Our current centers are saturated and soon we will be at maximum capacity”, warned the head of the mission, Mumuza Muhindo.

*With information from EFE

Source: Jovempan

- Advertisement -
spot_img

Latest Posts

spot_img

Latest