Spanish police released Shariy on bail
Blogger Shariy was released, he will be under house arrest / Photo: Collage: Today
The judge of the National Court of Spain released blogger Anatoly Shariy on bail. He was also exempted from appearing in court every 15 days. In Barcelona, the journalist will soon be waiting for a court decision on extradition. This writes the Spanish edition of Elmundo.
Sharia will be defended by lawyer Gonzalo Boye, who represents the interests of Carles Puigdemont. The head of the Central Training Court No. 4, Jose Luis Calama, who will conduct the case of the journalist, confiscated his passport and forbade him to leave the country.
Calama agreed to these measures at the request of the prosecutor’s office, which ruled out an application for imprisonment, assessing the lack of risk of escape due to the detainee’s roots in Spain, where he has been living for seven years, and the fact that he has all documents in order.
In addition, Ukraine now has 40 days to file an extradition request. The Spanish prosecutor’s office will review the crimes he is accused of and decide whether or not to extradite him to our side.
Detention of Sharia
- Pro-Russian blogger Anatoly Shariy, whom arrested in Spain, often criticized the Ukrainian authorities, and also showed his love for Russia. In addition, he supported Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- In February 2021, Anatoly Shariy was informed of suspicion of treason and inciting ethnic, racial or religious enmity and hatred. The SBU noted that he could act on the orders of foreign structures. After that, he was put on the wanted list. The Segodnya website has already explained what this blogger is known for and why he is accused of treason.
- In May, Ukrainian media reported that Lithuania had stripped Anatoly Shariy of his political refugee status. Especially for “Today” he exclusively commented on this decision.
- In August, the National Security and Defense Council imposed sanctions against Shariy and his information resource.
- On May 4, Sharia was detained in Spain. According to SBU investigators, Shariy carried out illegal activities to the detriment of the national security of Ukraine in the information sphere. There is reason to believe that the blogger acted on behalf of foreign structures.
- Pro-Russian blogger Anatoly Shariy detained in Spain awaits extradition“The extradition of Shariy will take place without fail. As a rule, this is carried out within a period of about two weeks or a month”– reported “Today” own sources.