2-1 against Mainz is the fifth win in a row: Jordan ends his goal drought and shoots Union to the top

Jordan Siebatcheu Pefok ran towards the corner flag, spread his arms and enjoyed the moment. He scored his last goal on September 18 and four and a half months is an agonizingly long time for a striker. But now, just five minutes after coming on as a substitute, he not only shot 1. FC Union to victory, but also to the top of the table for at least one night. In front of 22,012 spectators in the sold-out An der Alten Försterei stadium, the Berliners also won their fifth game of the calendar year, beating Mainz 05 2-1 (1-1) on Saturday afternoon.

“It’s true that I haven’t scored a goal for a long time,” Jordan said. “But my team-mates and the coaching team always had faith in me.” The goal was like a salvation. The striker was happy to take the lead in the table. “We will do everything to stay up there. But we will not change our attitude and the way we play.”

In the past few weeks and months, the striker, who arrived at Union very quickly after moving from Switzerland, had visibly suffered from the lack of goals. In the autumn he looked tired after many games in three competitions, and although he was lively again at the beginning of the new year, he lacked confidence and luck towards the end. In the cup against Wolfsburg on Tuesday he came very close to a goal, but his header flew to the crossbar.

In the meantime, Kevin Behrens had overtaken him in the striker hierarchy. Jordan was initially on the bench against Mainz and his competitor gave Union the lead. Behrens had already scored an important goal in the cup. “What could be nicer for a coach than being spoiled for choice,” said Fischer about the duel for the place next to Sheraldo Becker.

The fact that the Berlin strikers were so accurate against Mainz was also urgently needed, because Union did not create many chances. It was a very tough affair in Köpenick for long stretches. In the first half, the Berliners had more possession and the better chances, but the game consisted mostly of duels in midfield, many fouls and little constructive.

Union took the lead again after a cross

In the early stages, Jerome Roussillon and Rani Khedira came dangerously close to the Mainz goal, but from the middle of the first half the guests became a bit more offensive. But there were no clear chances and that’s how it happened, as it always happens lately. Union had scored six goals out of nine from crosses in January and that streak continued on Saturday. After a sharp cross from Paul Seguin’s half field, Behrens pushed the ball over the line as it fell.

Mainz invested more in the second half and created a few chances, but the equalizer came out of nowhere. The video assistant switched on long after a corner, referee Florian Badstübner looked at the scene and recognized a handball from Seguin. From the point, the former Berlin substitute Marcus Ingvartsen equalized confidently.

But Union found the right answer – and Fischer’s move paid off. Niko Gießelmann, Morten Thorsby and Jordan were only five minutes on the field when the Norwegian put the ball on the American after a cross from the left-back and the striker fired in for the acclaimed winner. “I expect them to step up their game again and bring a breath of fresh air into the game,” said Fischer. “It’s great that it works out like this.” Mainz pressed again after that, but the Berliners defended passionately and remain flawless this calendar year.

Source: Tagesspiegel

Share this article:

Leave a Reply

most popular